Armed man arrested after RCMP gives chase


One man is in custody and charged with nine criminal code offenses after leading Cochrane RCMP and the RCMP Police Dog Services (PDS) on a chase Aug. 15 through a wooded area on the Stoney Nakoda First Nation.

“On Aug. 14 we received information that there was a disturbance on Tsuu T’ina Nation involving a male who they believed to be travelling to Stoney Nakoda First Nation,” said Cochrane RCMP Constable Jennifer Brewer.

“At 3:30 in the morning on Aug. 15, we received a complaint from someone on the Stoney Nakoda First Nations of a disturbance and that it was the male who Tsuu T’ina had given us the information on.”

Scott Nelson Bigcrow, 33, of the Tsuu T’ina Nation faces a total of nine criminal charges including uttering threats, possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose and dangerous operation of a motor vehicle.

The resident of Stoney Nakoda who called Cochrane RCMP said there was a man carrying a sword and other weapons who appeared to be highly intoxicated, according to Brewer.

“He was claiming he had guns and other weapons with him,” she said. “When he wasn’t allowed in the home, he began slashing the complainant’s tires and threatening to shoot police if they attended. He then fled into the woods with a second male.”

Brewer said RCMP requested the assistance of the PDS and “K” Division Emergency Response Team South to help locate the two individuals who had fled into a wooded area.

One man voluntarily came out of the woods and was taken into custody. Bigcrow initially remained in the woods, finally exiting but refused to comply with the directions given to him by police.

“That’s when the police dog was deployed and they were able to apprehend the suspect,” Brewer said.

Bigcrow was treated for minor injuries.

The second suspect was subsequently released from custody.

“It sounds like he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time,” Brewer said. “We’re not sure how much he had to do with the disturbance. He wasn’t the one who slashed the tires or made any threats.”

Bigcrow remains in custody. He appeared in Tsuu T’ina Nation court Aug. 19, however, the outcome of that appearance was not known by press time.


About Author